Friday, February 11, 2011

Thoughts of a Quiet Atheist

Ok, so I've been doing a lot of reading and watching of videos and whatever other information I can find  on Atheism and the apparent battle going on between some of the "heavy hitters" of Atheism and religion. Though I think we need people like Christopher Hitchens, Richard Dawkins and P Z Meyers to kind of egg things on, I also think that there has to be people with a quieter message for potential future Atheists.

I mean, I understand all the bad that religion has been responsible for in the past and also in the present day, but, I also recognize that religion has also done a lot of good in the world. There are a lot of people out there who especially in this day and age need something to hold onto to keep themselves rooted in some kind of sanity. For these people religion gives them these roots. I don't want to be the one to try and rip these peoples religious roots out and cause them to cling that much tighter to them.

I don't try to convince people that they are wrong to believe in a god, I try to lead by example. I do my best to treat people the way I would want to be treated. I give respect to everyone regardless of their personal beliefs because I hope that they will return the courtesy. Though I don't try to hide the fact that I'm an Atheist, I also don't ever try to push my (belief?/disbelief?) on others. I figure that if people see me living as a good and moral person even though I know there to be no gods, maybe it will get them thinking a little bit.

I don't like being confrontational with people, it just goes against my grain. Now don't get me wrong, I will defend myself and those I hold dear, but I will not be the one to throw the first stone so to speak. I also enjoy a good earnest civil debate, but when things get heated, for me any ways, it's time to step back and take a few minutes to think.

I see no reason to insult someone by claiming that their beliefs are silly or dangerous, or that they are stupid or gullible for having those beliefs. Getting people mad at you for attacking something that they consider to be a part of their life regardless of how large or important a part of their life it is, does not in my opinion make them more likely to give that something up.

I prefer to continue as I have for a long time now,  using common courtesy, respect and kindness to convey my message. If I find my self in a situation where I am at the receiving end, then if possible I remove myself from the situation, or if not possible, then as I said before, I will defend myself as needed. I will not however be the initial aggressor in any confrontation. 

I find that I get much more satisfaction from doing what I can to help other people out when and where I can now that I'm doing it just because it's the right thing to do as apposed to trying to score browny points with some supreme being. It's also entertaining to see the reactions when people find out I'm an atheist. It's hard for some people to reconcile a good person not being a Christian, but it's hard for them to dismiss the evidence staring them in the face too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment